A survey of lists...
HTML offers a number of different ways to organize data. One kind of organization is called lists.
There are two kinds of lists:
To make ordered lists, write code like this:
To make unordered lists, write code like this:
There are also times when you will want to use more than one heading size. In the first exercise, you used the
<h1> to make large headings. You can also make progressively smaller headings by using other codes:
<h4>. Try it out and see what happens!
<h1>I am a large heading!</h1> <h2>I am a smaller heading!</h2> <h3>I am even smaller...</h3> <h4>Really?</h4>
Saving your work
Thankfully there are other editors in the world besides Notepad.
The coding environment that programmers use is the source of a great deal of debate. Personally, it depends on which language I am using: in Linux I tend to use gedit and kdevelop, but in Windows I tend to use Notepad++.
You probably want to use something besides Notepad. Why not save yourself some anguish?
- Download my PortableApps Notepad++ zip archive. Portable apps are programs that you can install to say, a flash drive, without it needing to use the windows registry. This is handy for people who like to use school and work computers that are well-secured and do not allow the permanent installation of programs.
- Save the zip file to the
- In the
D:/drive, delete any existing Notepad++ folders
- Right-click on the zip archive to bring up the context menu
- Start up Notepad++ and see if you prefer it
Never install any software onto a school computer without teacher permission, ever!
Whatever you use, open an editor and save the empty document as "
1.02S-SurveyLists-LastName.html" in your Computer Programming 12 directory.
- Create a series of lists full of questions
- Add your own answers to the questions
- Get a friend to proofread your code for you
Create a document that looks like this:
Then answer the questions based on your own experience and beliefs.
Extend and expand
Tell me more! Add the following questions to your survey:
- What course do you wish was offered at your school that currently isn't?
- What do you do outside school for fun?
- Tell me a story that you thing I would find interesting...